Re: 3.5-rcX: USB support without udev?

From: Bob Tracy
Date: Thu Jun 28 2012 - 23:35:58 EST

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:39:45PM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Bob Tracy <rct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > With the removal of the deprecated usbfs feature in the 3.5 release
> > candidates, is there a way of getting USB devices working on a non-
> > embedded Linux system without udev (static "/dev")?
>
> Please try to enable below options:
>
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
>
> and you need not the static dev nodes with devtmpfs.

It was worth a try, but it didn't help in my situation. This system
also has an updated Kubuntu partition available to boot, so I'll try
that and take lots of notes as far as what devices "udev" creates.
That approach was good enough to get my sound card working, which would
otherwise have required "udev".

Thanks.
--Bob