Re: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 3.6-rc6

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Sep 13 2012 - 11:26:23 EST

At Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:14:27 -0700,
Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> I can't reproduce here. What is your exact request-pull invocation?
>
> This question was not answerd.

It was (a sort of), but let me clarify again.
In my original pull request, I did git-request-pull for a signed tag,
but I apparently overlooked the warning.
Then the next test with git 1.7.12, I did it using no annotated/signed
tag, so git-request-pull didn't complain it. When I do it with a
signed tag, it starts warning.

> Did you ask request-pull to ask for
> a branch to be pulled, or did you ask it to ask for the tag to be
> pulled?
>
> If the former, I would have say it is a pebcak. Linus asked you to
> ask a signed tag to be pulled, and you want to have the tag to be
> pulled, but if you do not give "git request-pull" the tag but a
> branch that the tag points at, the command does not have a good
> reason to countermand your (apparent) wish that the branch is what
> is to be pulled.

Yeah I can understand that. But the problem is that a warning is
moderate so it can be so easily overlooked. It'd be user- (or
subsystem-maintainer-) friendly if this automatic conversion can be
suppressed.

Takashi