Re: Is: axe read_tscp pvops call. Was: Re: [RFC] ACPI S3 and Xen(suprisingly small\!).

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Oct 17 2012 - 13:35:15 EST

On 10/17/2012 09:54 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

Could you do an audit for other pvops calls that have no users? If
the *only* user is lguest, we should talk about it, too...

I can do that - but I don't want to be hasty here. There is a bit of
danger here - for example the read_pmc (or read_tsc) is not in use right
now. But it might be when one starts looking at making perf be able to
analyze the hypervisor (hand-waving the implementation details). So while
removing read_pmc now sounds good, it might be needed in the future.

We do not keep a pvop around just because it "might be needed in the future". That's just crazy.

-hpa