Re: RFC: sign the modules at install time

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Oct 18 2012 - 13:16:28 EST

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 03:04:26PM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> I want that too, but right now 'make clean' leaves the keys around,
> >> which seems a bit dangerous to me.
> >
> > Oh, yes, we should make sure the key file gets cleaned up at "make clean".
>
> I left it at distclean, figuring the temporary key is a bit like the
> .config. But it's trivial to change if people think that's unnatural.

.config is user-generated, while the key is build-generated. I assumed
that 'make clean' would clean up anything the build created, but as
Linus points out, the docs say that we will have enough stuff around to
build a module, so I guess it makes sense in that case.

Oh, along those lines, should the keys really end up in the root of the
kernel source tree? keys/ perhaps? But this is really just
bikesheding, that's up to you and David, it's not my code to maintain :)

thanks,

greg k-h