Re: Linix-3.6.3 sda, sdb drives in reverse order (with a USB 2.0drives and a monolithic kernel configuration)

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Oct 25 2012 - 19:11:33 EST

On 10/25/2012 04:49 PM, Wallak wrote:
I've a very annoying behavior with the linux-3.6.x kernels release, and
a monolithic configuration. The USB 2.0 drives are mapped first with
/dev/sda, /dev/sdb... devices, and than the SATA AHCI drives come after.
This is out of order with the BIOS configuration and breaks a program
like lilo. This is also annoying when we use a static partition mapping.

Linux-3.5 works fine. Where this bug come from ? Is this a patch to get
the old, and classical behavior ?

As you have discovered it's fragile to rely on /dev/sd* names since a BIOS update, kernel update, or motherboard replacement could conceivably cause them to change.

Better to use something like partition labels that you control and that don't change.

Chris