Re: [patch v2 3/6] memcg: rework mem_cgroup_iter to use cgroupiterators

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 11:16:09 EST

On Tue 11-12-12 16:50:25, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Sun 09-12-12 08:59:54, Ying Han wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > > + /*
> > > + * Even if we found a group we have to make sure it is alive.
> > > + * css && !memcg means that the groups should be skipped and
> > > + * we should continue the tree walk.
> > > + * last_visited css is safe to use because it is protected by
> > > + * css_get and the tree walk is rcu safe.
> > > + */
> > > + if (css == &root->css || (css && css_tryget(css)))
> > > + memcg = mem_cgroup_from_css(css);
> > >
> > > if (reclaim) {
> > > - iter->position = id;
> > > + struct mem_cgroup *curr = memcg;
> > > +
> > > + if (last_visited)
> > > + css_put(&last_visited->css);
> > > +
> > > + if (css && !memcg)
> > > + curr = mem_cgroup_from_css(css);
> >
> > In this case, the css_tryget() failed which implies the css is on the
> > way to be removed. (refcnt ==0) If so, why it is safe to call
> > css_get() directly on it below? It seems not preventing the css to be
> > removed by doing so.
>
> Well, I do not remember exactly but I guess the code is meant to say
> that we need to store a half-dead memcg because the loop has to be
> retried. As we are under RCU hood it is just half dead.
> Now that you brought this up I think this is not safe as well because
> another thread could have seen the cached value while we tried to retry
> and his RCU is not protecting the group anymore.

Hmm, thinking about it some more, it _is_ be safe in the end.

We are safe because we are under RCU. And even if somebody else looked
at the half-dead memcg from iter->last_visited it cannot disappear
because the current one will retry without dropping RCU so the grace
period couldn't have been finished.

CPU0 CPU1
rcu_read_lock() rcu_read_lock()
while(!memcg) { while(!memcg)
[...]
spin_lock(&iter->iter_lock)
[...]
if (css == &root->css ||
(css && css_tryget(css)))
memcg = mem_cgroup_from_css(css)
[...]
if (css && !memcg)
curr = mem_cgroup_from_css(css)
if (curr)
css_get(curr);
spin_unlock(&iter->iter_lock)
spin_lock(&iter->iter_lock)
/* sees the half dead memcg but its cgroup is still valid */
[...]
spin_unlock(&iter->iter_lock)
/* we do retry */
}
rcu_read_unlock()

so the css_get will just helps to prevent from further code obfuscation.

Makes sense? The code gets much simplified later in the series,
fortunately.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs