[Consult] our latest kernel and latest Android under arm SamsungS5PV210 with yaffs2 file system

From: Chen Gang F T
Date: Tue Jan 08 2013 - 05:24:05 EST

Hello all:

Consult:
whether the latest kernel can update the latest android OS ?
it is android 4.0 (kernel-3.0.8)
under arm Samsung S5PV210 with yaffs2 file system

Background:
development board:
the core hardware is Samsung S5PV210
the extended vendor is FriendlyARM (a Chinese vendor)
use yaffs2 file system for android
it seems yaffs2 is a standard file system for android.
for my android HTC phone is also yaffs2 file system.
finished:
for the android kernel its own
can compile from the source code successfully.
can update to the development board successfully.
only need zImages, not need additional modules.
can start android without any files under /system/lib/modules/*
current:
I am trying to use our latest kernel (such as next-20130104)
can compile from the source code successfully.
it has no source code for yaffs2 file system.
not know whether can update the latest kernel.
whether match the firmwares
it already has files for firmwares in /system/etc/firmware/*
do not know the public latest kernel whether can match them.
whether need special image packing
the vendor use additional tools for image packing:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="scripts/FriendlyARM.cpio"
do not know the public latest kernel whether also need it.

Choice:
A) need choose another suitable branch of public kernel for it ?
B) need additional configuration and download additional patches ?
C) can not use latest public kernel to update latest android kernel ?
D) none of choices above.

welcome any members to providing suggestions or completions.

thanks

--
Chen Gang

Flying Transformer