Re: Lockdep splat when unloading b43

From: Larry Finger
Date: Sun Feb 24 2013 - 13:53:34 EST

On 02/24/2013 12:32 PM, Michael BÃsch wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:31:47 -0600
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With the current wireless-testing tree, unloading b43 produces the lockdep log
splat copied below. My understanding of locking is deficient, and I would like
to learn. Any help on understanding this problem is appreciated.

A few questions:
Is there any reason for using the global workqueue and not mac80211's workqueue?

My original thought was that we needed the firmware load queue before mac80211 was running for b43; however, I now realize that my thinking was wrong.

Why is the workqueue cancelled in the core_stop callback? Wouldn't it make more
sense to cancel it in bcma_remove/ssb_remove?

It certainly would.

This would probably fix the circular dependency. But I'm not entirely sure, because
I'm not that familiar with the code anymore.

I know that a lot has changed, but your instincts are still good.

Thanks,

Larry