Re: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 25 2013 - 22:32:14 EST

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You're happy advising Linux vendors that they don't need to worry about
> module signing because it's "not obvious" that Microsoft would actually
> enforce the security model they've spent significant money developing
> and advertising?

And you're happy shilling for a broken model?

The fact is, the only valid user for the whole security model is to
PROTECT THE USER.

Your arguments constantly seem to miss that rather big point. You
think this is about bending over when MS whispers sweet nothings in
your ear..

The whole and only reason I ever merged module signatures is because
it actually allows *users* to do a good job at security. You, on the
other hand, seem to have drunk the cool-aid on the whole "let's
control the user" crap.

Did you forget what security was all about?

Linus