Re: [RFD] Proposal for merging Android sync driver in staging

From: John Stultz
Date: Thu Feb 28 2013 - 13:28:49 EST

On 02/27/2013 06:32 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:14:24PM -0800, John Stultz wrote:
I'd like to get a discussion going about submitting the Android sync
driver to staging.

I know there is currently some very similar work going on with the
dmabuf-fences, and rather then both approaches being worked out
individually on their own, I suspect there could be better
collaboration around this effort.

So my proposal is that we merge the Android sync driver into staging.

In my mind, this has the following benefits:
1) It allows other drivers that depend on the sync interface to also
be submitted to staging, rather then forcing those drivers to be
hidden away in various out of tree git repos, location unknown.

2) It would provide a baseline view to the upstream community of the
interface Android is using, providing a real-world, active use case
of the functionality.

Once the sync driver is in staging, if the dmabuf-fences work is
fully sufficient to replace the Android sync driver, we should be
able to whittle down the sync driver until its just a interface shim
(and at which point efforts can be made to convert Android userland
over to dmabuf-fences).
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I've gone through the Android tree and reworked the sync driver to
live in staging, while still preserving the full patch
history/authorship. You can checkout the reworked patch queue here:
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/jstultz/android-dev.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dev/sync-staging
I can't really look at a git tree at the moment, but will always be glad
to review patches. Feel free to send them on and we can look at them
then :)

Ok, since I preserved the patch history, its currently 30 patches, and I didn't want to flood everyone's inboxes with patches (Greg: I know you'd never do such a thing! :) before making sure there weren't any objections to the idea in concept.

I'll send out the stack later today.

thanks
-john