Re: Device driver memory 'mmap()' function helper cleanup

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Apr 17 2013 - 17:28:15 EST

On Wednesday 17 April 2013, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Not the way things are now.
>
> vm_iomap_memory() actually allows non-page-aligned things to be
> mapped, with the assumption that the user will then know about the
> internal offsets.
>
> The reason for that is questionable, but that's how pretty much
> every single user I've seen has worked, throwing the low bits of the
> physical away (after adding them to the length of the area).

There is a separate check for the physical address that gets
mapped in hpet_mmap:

if (addr & (PAGE_SIZE - 1))
return -ENOSYS;

We cannot remove that without changing the semantics of this function,
but the check that I mentioned:

if (((vma->vm_end - vma->vm_start) != PAGE_SIZE) || vma->vm_pgoff)
return -EINVAL;

is for the virtual address. All of vm_start, vm_end and vm_pgoff
are guaranteed to be page-aligned through previous checks or
shifts, and we have also checked that the size is non-zero.

Since we pass a hardcoded len=PAGE_SIZE into vm_iomap_memory, that will
return -EINVAL for any non-zero vma->vm_pgoff. Testing ((vma->vm_end -
vma->vm_start) != PAGE_SIZE) is redundant as well, because we know it
is a positive multiple of PAGE_SIZE because of the call chain leading
up to this function, and vm_iomap_memory() ensures that it can not
be more than len, which leaves PAGE_SIZE as the only possible value
not resulting in -EINVAL without the extra check.

> It may be that I should have done things differently: make the normal
> helper function verify page alignment, and warn if it's missing. Then,
> we could have a "vm_unaligned_iomap_memory()" that would just do the
> "extend to aligned pages" that people could convert any odd users for.
> That would probably be a good thing to do, but it would be separate
> "phase two" from the "let's start using the sane helper".

Makes sense, but I think this is independent of the observation I made
regarding the checks for the vma.

Arnd