IO regression after ab8fabd46f on x86 kernels with high memory

From: Pierre-Loup A. Griffais
Date: Fri Apr 26 2013 - 20:07:58 EST

I initially observed this between kernels 3.2 and 3.5: on 3.2, copying a 180M shared object on the same ext4 filesystem takes 0.6s. On 3.5, it takes between two and three minutes. It looks like a similar throughput regression happens on any machine running an i386 PAE kernel with high amounts of memory; the threshold seems to be 16G; passing mem=15G to the kernel commandline fixes it.

I bisected it to the following change:

commit ab8fabd46f811d5153d8a0cd2fac9a0d41fb593d