Re: 3.10-rc: bluetooth disappeared on thinkpad x60 (regression)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Jun 10 2013 - 07:04:30 EST

Hi!

> > root@amd:~# hciconfig hci0 up
> > Can't init device hci0: Operation not supported (95)
> > root@amd:~# hcitool inq
> > Inquiring ...
> > Inquiry failed.: No such device
> > root@amd:~#
>
> Could you take logs of the HCI traffic that happens when you try this.
> You can use the btmon tool from BlueZ for it. Based on a quick look at
> the code it seems like this particular error could only come if one of
> the HCI commands used for device initialization fails.

Where can I get btmon? I tried

root@amd:~# apt-get install bluez-utils

but it is not there. (Can I just add printk somewhere?)

> The Bluetooth HCI init sequence is constructed using only commands that
> should be expected to work assuming the hardware follows the
> specification, but occasionally we do encounter Bluetooth hardware that
> is broken in one way or another and needs a work around to the sequence.
> E.g. recently we added a couple of extra commands to read some new
> parameters from the hardware, commands that are mandatory for hardware
> beyond a specific version (something we check for), but could be that
> the chip on the X60 doesn't support these.

I don't expect strace is enough?

set_thread_area({entry_number:-1 -> 6, base_addr:0xb7624b20,
limit:1048575, seg_32bit:1, contents:0, read_exec_only:0,
limit_in_pages:1, seg_not_present:0, useable:1}) = 0
mprotect(0xb7766000, 8192, PROT_READ) = 0
mprotect(0xb77b2000, 4096, PROT_READ) = 0
munmap(0xb7782000, 76642) = 0
socket(PF_BLUETOOTH, SOCK_RAW, 1) = 3
ioctl(3, 0x800448d3, 0xb77cc420) = 0
ioctl(3, 0x400448c9, 0) = -1 EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not
supported)
write(2, "Can't init device hci0: Operatio"..., 53Can't init device
hci0: Operation not supported (95)
) = 53
exit_group(1) = ?
root@amd:~# btmon