Re: [RFC] is it time to split up the MAINTAINERS file?

From: Joe Perches
Date: Tue Jun 11 2013 - 03:13:55 EST

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 23:49 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> Quite possibly the answer is "no", but the MAINTAINERS file is
> approaching 10,000 lines. Getting a bit unwieldy.

I think it hasn't been much of a bottleneck problem.

> The question is: would this be an improvement? (And worth the changes
> to checkpatch.pl and such required to make it work?)

shrug.

MAINTAINERS is still the most frequently updated file.
This division eliminates those changes.

> One potential _advantage_ of this is we could make the reporting
> hierarchy more explicit. The first entry in arch/arm/MAINTAINERS would
> be the arm maintainer and everybody else _under_ there goes through
> him. (Also, that guy could handle updates to the local MAINTAINERS file
> itself, so we're not always spamming Andrew. Such updates could even
> post to the architecture-specific list rather than linux-kernel.)

MAINTAINERS updates aren't centralized.
There are lots of MAINTAINERS updates from sub-maintainers.

> Yeah, reality isn't neatly nested. Lots of things refer to include
> files and Documentation files, but there's generally a main area of
> focus (where's the actual _code_?), and when you do have something like:
>
> ARM/SHMOBILE ARM ARCHITECTURE
> M: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> M: Magnus Damm <magnus.damm@xxxxxxxxx>
> L: linux-sh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> W: http://oss.renesas.com
> Q: http://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-sh/list/
> T: git
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git next
> S: Supported
> F: arch/arm/mach-shmobile/
> F: drivers/sh/
>
> You could either have the same entry in more than one MAINTAINERS file
> or keep it at a higher level. (This wouldn't eliminate the top level
> MAINTAINERS, merely trim it down a bit.)
>
> Just throwing it out there. Seems like it might be a thing, someday
> anyway...

Patches talk...

Sprinkling a few hundred MAINTAINER styles files
around the tree would be the biggest negative.

But paths and files could be relative and absolute

F: ./ (everything at this directory and lower)
F: ./foo.c (single file)
F: Documentation/foo.txt (absolute single file)

or add an initial / for the absolutes

F: */ (everything at this directory and lower)
F: foo.c (single file)
F: /Documentation/foo.txt (absolute single file)

make could be taught to create an overall integrated
MAINTAINERS, which would not be part of the files
managed by git/cvs from these submaintainer files.

Still, I think the "best" approach would be to enhance
git to manage this additional information instead.

Something akin to:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/14/256

Maybe some standardization of "git notes" or
"git annotate" might work.

A script could be written to create something like the
existing MAINTAINERS file from that too.