Re: am335x: TSC & ADC reworking including DT pieces, take 4

From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
Date: Tue Jun 11 2013 - 12:19:13 EST

On 06/11/2013 06:10 PM, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,

Hi Samuel,

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 05:29:22PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
>>> Then, this is a pretty big patchset, with iio, input and mfd all mixed
>>> together and it is likely to create merge conflicts.
>> They somehow depend on each other. Otherwise I would have sent three
>> series, one per subsystem.
> Of course they depend on each other, but the dependency is mostly for
> iio and input to depend on the MFD changes.

Except for the one #18 as mentioned below.

>> Still. There is #18 which reworks the "step addressing" and involves
>> changes in both (iio & input) at the same time.
> Would splitting iio and input break anything there ?

Yes. Once the header files is modified without the two .c files the
driver is not working. To fix this I need another patch making sure
input + iio does not the header files and another to user it (once
everything is merged).

>> There is #21. Adding this to the initial "DT support" patch would be bad
>> I think because it requires some changes on the iio side which have
>> nothing to do with DT. Putting the iio changes before DT would require
>> to make some change to platform-data part which will go away anyway.
> Wouldn't it workif you split this one into an MFD+dts file changes and
> another one for the iio changes ?

It would work in general. The first few DT-iio patches wouldn't make
sense but then why not.

>> So I started collecting ACKs from input and iio to avoid this split. If
>> you really want the split then I will start doing soâ
> I think it would be nicer, yes.

Nicer. I see. Please tell me what you think about #1 because I really
would like to drop regmap and then I can start reshuffle the series :)

> Cheers,
> Samuel.

Sebastian