device_register and device_create_file rules

From: Srinivas Pandruvada
Date: Fri Jul 26 2013 - 15:22:30 EST

I am aware that it it is always recommended that attributes must be associate via attribute groups when calling device_register() .
This way when the device is created, user space can always see attributes once they get device create notification via uevent.

I have need to create/delete attributes on fly using device_create_file/device_remove_file. In past several drivers did that.

But with the enforcements of device model for new class of drivers, is it a big NO? I am not aware of change notification calls other than for kobject_uevent.

Thanks,
Srinivas