Build and Source Tree Requirements for Out-of-tree Modules

From: Shea Levy
Date: Wed Jan 01 2014 - 10:11:54 EST

Hi all,

I am a package maintainer for the kernel for the NixOS distribution. We support users building out-of-tree modules and other packages that might depend on the kernel source or build trees, but make modules_install copies the entire source and build trees (we build with $(O) set) to $(INSTALL_PATH), and those are some big paths to keep around. Is there any documentation on which of those files should actually be needed by any out-of-tree tools? For example I'm guessing the intermediate object files in the build tree or the .c files in the source tree are not necessary, but it would be nice if there were a definitive list of what could be removed to save space.

Regards,
Shea Levy

P.S. I am not subscribed to the list, please CC me in responses.