Re: check && lockdep_no_validate (Was: lockdep: Introduce wait-typechecks)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Jan 17 2014 - 13:01:57 EST

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> On 01/16, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Yes, I suppose that might work, it would allow some validation.
> >
> > I haven't seen the patch, but I'm not so sure it will work. Suppose we
> > have two devices, D1 and D2, and some other mutex, M. Then the locking
> > pattern:
> >
> > lock(D1);
> > lock(M);
> > unlock(M);
> > unlock(D1);
> >
> > generally should not conflict with:
> >
> > lock(M);
> > lock(D2);
> > unlock(D2);
> > unlock(M);
>
> Yes, sure. This change assumes that the only problem in drivers/base is
> dev->parent->mutex / dev->mutex dependency. If the locking is even more
> "broken" (wrt lockdep), we can't replace lockdep_set_novalidate_class()
> with lockdep_set_auto_nested().

I suspect it is even more "broken". But I can't point to specific
examples.

> And, otoh, with this change lockdep can miss the real problems too, for
> example:
>
> func1(dev)
> {
> device_lock(dev->parent);
> mutex_lock(MUTEX);
> device_lock(dev);
> }
>
> func2(dev)
> {
> device_lock(dev);
> mutex_lock(MUTEX);
> }
>
> lockdep will only notice dev -> MUTEX dependency.
>
> I booted the kernel (under kvm) with this change and there is nothing
> in dmesg, but of course this is not the real testing.
>
> So do you think that dev->mutex should not be validated at all ?

My guess is that if your change is deployed widely, there will be
reports of violations. That's only a guess.

Still, you could go ahead and try it, just to see what happens.

> Just in case... Of course, if we actually add auto_nested we should not
> use a single class unless dev->mutex will be the only user.

That's a good point. I don't know of any other classes using
LOCKDEP_NO_VALIDATE, but there may be one or two.

Also, take a look at commit 356c05d58af0. It's a similar situation
(not exactly the same).

Alan Stern