Re: [Patch v3 2/2] dmaengine: qcom_bam_dma: Add device tree binding

From: Andy Gross
Date: Tue Jan 28 2014 - 14:50:45 EST

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:16:53AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 January 2014 10:05:35 Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> > > +
> > > +Clients must use the format described in the dma.txt file, using a three cell
> > > +specifier for each channel.
> > > +
> > > +The three cells in order are:
> > > + 1. A phandle pointing to the DMA controller
> > > + 2. The channel number
> > > + 3. Direction of the fixed unidirectional channel
> > > + 0 - Memory to Device
> > > + 1 - Device to Memory
> > > + 2 - Device to Device
> > > +
> >
> > Why does the direction needs to be specified in specifier? I see two
> > options, either the direction per is fixed in hardware. In that case the DMA
> > controller node should describe which channel is which direction. Or the
> > direction is not fixed in hardware and can be changed at runtime in which
> > case it should be set on a per descriptor basis.
>
> Normally the direction is implied by dmaengine_slave_config().
> Note that neither the dma slave API nor the generic DT binding
> can actually support device-to-device transfers, since this
> normally implies using two dma-request lines rather than one.
>
> There might be a case where the direction is required in order
> to allocate a channel, because the engine has specialized channels
> per direction, and might connect any of them to any dma request
> line. This does not seem to be the case for "bam", because
> the DMA specifier already contains a specific channel number, not
> a request line or slave ID number.

In the case of BAM, the channels are hardcoded based on the attached peripheral.
For instance, if the BAM is attached to the BLSP UART, channel 0 is uart0-RX,
channel 1 is uart0-TX, channel 2 is uart1-RX... etc, etc. So not only is the
direction hardcoded, but also the function.

--
sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,