Re: [GIT PULL] x86/kaslr for v3.14

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 03:25:27 EST

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/28/2014 12:28 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:

> >> Probably. And then we should make sure that allyesconfig/allmodconfig
> >> don't pick it.
> >
> > Let's make it depend on CONFIG_EXPERT.
> >

> That doesn't solve all*config. My scripts for all*config just
> overrides it, maybe we need to do something like that by default?

For features we want to exclude from allyesconfig we can define them
as logical negatives. (I've used this technique in the past to hide
silly options from allyesconfig and it works well.)

So to reign in debuginfo in allyesconfig/allmodconfig builds we could
do something like:

config SAVE_TIME_AND_DISK_SPACE
bool "Faster and leaner kernel build: compile without debug info"
default y

choice
prompt "Choose DEBUGINFO bloat level"
depends on !SAVE_TIME_AND_DISK_SPACE
default DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED
help
This option allows to select the debuginfo model.

config DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED
bool "Reduced amount of debugging information"

config DEBUG_INFO
bool "Full DEBUG info, 'planet killer' version"

endchoice

(or so, perhaps with slightly more PC text.)

That would default to Y and would disable debuginfo by default.

( And yeah, it's a bit ugly, but it beats having to hack the kconfig
language! )

Thanks,

Ingo