Re: [GIT PULL] x86/kaslr for v3.14

From: Mathias Krause
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 03:27:19 EST

On 29 January 2014 09:11, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But you can see that the symbol is perfectly fine:
>>
>> (gdb) list *(schedule+0x45)
>
> Oh, cool. Thanks for that trick - this will save me quite some time in
> the future.
>
> So we can strip absolute addresses just fine from oopses - cool.
>
> I'd even argue to strip the hex on non-randomized kernels as long as
> there's kallsyms around, and only print hex if we don't have any
> symbols.

Please, don't do so! I do find the hex values in the backtrace *very*
useful as I'm using 'objdump -wdr vmlinux | less' quite often to
"browse around" in the kernel binary. Grepping for addresses from a
backtrace works quite nicely this way. Having to lookup symbols and do
base-16 arithmetics in the head (or a shell, for that matter) would
only slow down this process. So, please leave the hex values in place.
They do help a lot -- at least in the non-kASLR case.

Regards,
Mathias