Re: Do we really need curr_target in signal_struct ?

From: Rakib Mullick
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 11:07:30 EST

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/29, Rakib Mullick wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> AFAIU, ->current_target is only a loop breaker to avoid infinite loop,
>
> No. It caches the last result of "find a thread which can handle this
> group-wide signal".

The reason behind of my understanding is the following comments:

/*
* No thread needs to be woken.
* Any eligible threads will see
* the signal in the queue soon.
*/

What if, there's no thread in a group wants_signal()? Or it can't
practically happen?

>> but - by using while_each_thread() we can remove it completely, thus
>> helps to get rid from maintaining it too.
>
> ... and remove the optimization above.
>
>> I'll prepare a proper patch with you suggestions for reviewing.
>
> I am not sure we want this patch. Once again, I do not know how much
> ->curr_target helps, and certainaly it can't help always. But you
> should not blindly remove it just because yes, sure, it is not strictly
> needed to find a wants_signal() thread.

Are you thinking that , since things are not broken, then we shouldn't
try to do anything?

Thanks,
Rakib