Re: [BUG] Description for memmap in kernel-parameters.txt is wrong

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Jan 30 2014 - 17:17:37 EST

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> >> Should be:
> >> Region of memory to be reserved, from ss to ss+nn.
> >>
> >> but that doesn't help with the problem that you describe, does it?
> >>

> > Actually it should be:
> > Region of memory to be reserved, from nn to nn+ss.
> >
> > That is, exchange nn and ss.
>
> Yes, I understand that that's what you are reporting. I just haven't yet
> worked out how the code manages to exchange those 2 values.

It doesn't, the documentation is correct as written and could be improved
by your suggestion of "Region of memory to be reserved, from ss to ss+nn."
I think Andiry probably is having a problem with his bootloader
interpreting the '$' incorrectly (or variable expansion if coming from the
shell) or interpreting the resulting user-defined e820 map incorrectly.