Re: how to use memmap= option

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Thu Jan 30 2014 - 19:56:44 EST

On 01/08/2014 06:06 AM, Long Wind wrote:
> On 1/8/14, Long Wind <longwind2009@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have asked Debian users, they don't seem to know
>> kernel 2.4/2.6 fail to boot on my PC
>> probably because it can't detect my memory
>> so I have to tell kernel memory map
>>
>> the following is copied from kernel-parameters.txt:
>>
>> memmap=exactmap [KNL,X86] Enable setting of an exact
>> E820 memory map, as specified by the user.
>> Such memmap=exactmap lines can be constructed based on
>> BIOS output or other requirements. See the memmap=nn@ss
>> option description.
>>

>> Could you tell me how to construct memmap= lines?
>>

> Sorry, it seems that I have posted wrong list
> If you could tell me which list I should join, I will very appreciate
> I'm leaving the list

No, this is the correct mailing list for your question (or use
linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx).

First you obtain a listing of your computer's valid memory map,
either from Linux booting on it (maybe not so likely on your computer)
or maybe from BIOS SETUP.

With that information, you construct a kernel command line with multiple
memmap= options.
You can see an example of this here:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0809.1/0664.html

Hope that helps you.