Re: possible viri in tarballs?

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Feb 05 2014 - 14:52:47 EST

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 01:24:59PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >/home/gene/src/linux-3.2.40/Documentation/usb/gadget_multi.txt:
> >MBL_400944.UNOFFICIAL FOUND
>
> You will see more history.
>
> So that file needs sanitized. I was under the impression that a file with
> the .txt extension was supposed to be pure ascii text, but its loaded to
> the gills with some sort of markup crap. And I have at least 20 copies of
> it.

Huh? There are lines with

* Overview

** Linux host drivers

in that file, sure. But I'd hardly call that "loaded to the gills
with markup crap".

If the file was had any amount of XML or XHTML2, that would be markup
crap. But some Twiki style ascii markup is hardly a problem -- it
looks just fine when viewed in a text reader.

- Ted