Re: Perf Oops on 3.14-rc2

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Feb 19 2014 - 13:36:36 EST

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 07:03:13PM +0100, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> I am trying to understand the context here.
> Are you saying, we may call an offline CPU?

Yes, that is what's happening.

> I saw that sometimes you retry, sometimes you don't.

I tried to do exactly what we do for the task case which is far more
likely to fail. Could be I messed up.

I should probably write the function differently and have a common retry
path instead of duplicating everything.

> For perf_cgroup_attach(), we invoke task_function_call()
> to force a PMU context switch on the task which is now monitored in cgroup mode.
> If the CPU is offline then, the task is switched out and monitoring
> has been stoppe,
> no need to retry or do anything more.
>
> For perf_cgroup_exit(), this is pretty much the same logic.
>
> am I missing anything else?

Don't think so; I'll add a comment there. I was just too tired to make
sense of things.