PWC webcam and setpwc tool no longer working with 3.12.11 kernel

From: Chris Rankin
Date: Thu Feb 20 2014 - 14:33:28 EST

Hi,

I have an old Logitech webcam, with USB IDs 046d:08b3. When I try to use this camera now, I see this error in the dmesg log:

[ 2883.852464] pwc: isoc_init() submit_urb 0 failed with error -28

This error is apparently ENOSPC, which made me suspect that I was trying to use a mode that would require compression. However, when I tried using setpwc to configure the camera's options I received more errors:
$ setpwc -c 3
setpwc v1.3, (C) 2003-2006 by folkert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error while doing ioctl VIDIOCPWCSCQUAL: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Has the kernel-to-userspace interface for PWC devices changed? Because how else could this IOCTL be "inappropriate"? Is there an alternative to setpwc, please?

Thanks,
Chris