Re: It BOOTS! 3.13.5 that is.

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Feb 23 2014 - 09:12:41 EST

On Sunday 23 February 2014, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 23 February 2014, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>>On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 00:18 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Saturday 22 February 2014, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, no such beast As VIDEO_CX88.
>>>
>>> Now that tells me something in the VIDEO dept isn't set, but what?
>>
>>Beast radar:
>>find drivers -name Kconfig -exec grep -C5 VIDEO_CX88 {} \;
>>
>>Blip:
>>config VIDEO_CX88
>>
>> tristate "Conexant 2388x (bt878 successor) support"
>> depends on VIDEO_DEV && PCI && I2C && RC_CORE <=== IFF
>> signature select I2C_ALGOBIT
>> select VIDEO_BTCX
>> select VIDEOBUF_DMA_SG
>>
>>--
>>
>> TV cards.
>>
>> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
>> module will be called cx8800
>
>That part I think (thats probably a bad thing) that because I didn't have
>SIMPLE_TUNER enabled, which I see is but its not working in this old boot
>either, but its at least seen, but there is no evidence that
>/lib/firmware/dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw is being loaded even in this old
>boot.
>
>The instructions are ambiguous at best in the make xconfig help screen:
>
>Oren OR51132 based (DVB_OR51132)
>
>CONFIG_DVB_OR51132:
>
>An ATSC 8VSB and QAM64/256 tuner module. Say Y when you want
>to support this frontend.
>
>This driver needs external firmware. Please use the commands
>"<kerneldir>/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51132_vsb" and/or
>"<kerneldir>/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51132_qam" to
>download firmwares for 8VSB and QAM64/256, respectively. Copy them to
>/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware or /lib/firmware (depending on
>configuration of firmware hotplug).
>
>Symbol: DVB_OR51132 [=m]
>Type : tristate
>Prompt: Oren OR51132 based
>-------------------
>That file looks like the download and strip script to put those 2 files
>into /lib/firmware, and both of those firmwares are present in
>/lib/firmware, but how they actually get loaded is _not_ at all clear.
>
>There is in this machine, a /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware tree also, were
>these files miss-placed? I can put copies both places I guess.
>Actually, they were simlinks, and that was missing, so I made one.
>Reboot again after adding simple_tuner.
>

>Thanks Mike, Ilia.
>
>Cheers, Gene

Update, video is now working, so we can close this thread with the comment
that adding simple_tuner to the last build appeared to bring it up. No
great amount of help from the depends line in Kconfig when that Kconfig
isn't even seen if the RC_CORE isn't checked in a different directories
Kconfig. THAT NEEDS a PATCH...

However there is no audio because I need to get a longer jumper cable. The
pcHDTV3000's audio output is at microphone level at its best, or has been
here forever, and I've switched to the motherboard audio, an snd_hda_intel
setup & the cable won't reach. It was originally driving an Audigy2 Value
24 bit card in an adjacent PCI-E slot, which I may have wrongly blamed for
some stuttering and took out. I might put it back in as this snd_hda_intel
lashup is funkity in numerous ways, 30db too much bass boost, and its gains
are wide open all the time to get a usable voice level.

Thank you all for bearing with me on this.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.