Re: RCU stalls when running out of memory on 3.14-rc4 w/ NFS and kernel threads priorities changed

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Mar 05 2014 - 00:34:57 EST

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 07:55:03PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> >> QEMU for Versatile Express w/ 2 CPUs yields something slightly
> >> different than the real HW platform this is happening with, but it
> >> does produce the RCU stall anyway:
> >>
> >> [ 125.762946] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 53s! [malloc_crazy:91]
> >
> > This soft-lockup condition can result in RCU CPU stall warnings. Fix
> > the problem causing the soft lockup, and I bet that your RCU CPU stall
> > warnings go away.
>
> I definitively agree, which is why I was asking for help, as I think
> the kernel thread priority change is what is causing the soft lockup
> to appear, but nothing obvious jumps to mind when looking at the
> trace.

Is your hardware able to make the malloc_crazy CPU periodically dump
its stack, perhaps in response to an NMI? If not, another approach is
to use ftrace -- though this will require a very high-priority task to
turn tracing on and off reasonably quickly, unless you happen to have
a very large amount of storage to hold the trace.

What happens if you malloc() less intensively? Does that avoid this
problem? The reason I ask is that you mentioned that avoiding NFS helped,
and it is possible that NFS is increasing storage-access latencies and
thus triggering another problem. It is quite possible that slowing
down the malloc()s would also help, and might allow you to observe what
is happening more easily than when the system is driven fully to the
lockup condition.

Finally, what are you trying to achieve with this workload? Does your
production workload behave in this way? Or is this an experimental
investigation of some sort?

Thanx, Paul