Re: [qemu64,+smep,+smap] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 0 at arch/x86/kernel/cpu/amd.c:220 init_amd()

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Mar 07 2014 - 17:20:48 EST

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 05:06:55PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> Additionally, fam:6 model:6 stepping 3 never existed in the real
> world afaict. I used to keep x86info's stepping db pretty up to date,
> and that only has knowledge of stepping 1 & 2.[*] Modelling qemu on
> something from the real world might be a better idea than inventing
> new special cases.

Yep.

I'm afraid this qemu64 is some migration/machine snapshot model which
they're using by defining a minimal set of feature bits so that
cross-vendor migration can work. WTH do I know - virt. people are crazy
anyway - that's a given. :-P

> > Oh, and the thing has CPUID_EXT2_LM which is also a WTH moment for me.
> > Paolo, what's going on here?
>
> Yeah, this is a mess, there should be no family < 0xf with LM set.

Right.

> [*] It's possible I somehow missed it, or the AMD rev docs never mentioned it
> for some reason, but it seems unlikely.

Yeah, I think the test in the kernel is open above as a precaution in
case newer models appeared:

if (((c->x86_model == 6) && (c->x86_mask >= 2)) ||

I hardly can imagine, though, if anyone is actually booting recent
kernels on a K7. We might just as well kill this code and not even miss
it.

Btw, and sometimes when digging around, one can get lucky:
http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/23542a.pdf

K6. Ancient history stuff - I feel like I'm in a museum :-P

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.