Re: [qemu64,+smep,+smap] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 0 at arch/x86/kernel/cpu/amd.c:220 init_amd()

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Mar 07 2014 - 17:39:48 EST

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 05:27:43PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> When I wrote it 10 years or so back it made more sense than it
> probably does now, so I'd be ok with just dropping it all too tbh.
> Machines of that vintage probably have bigger problems now anyway.

Yeah.

> I don't recall seeing a report of the taint flag being set ever in
> a Red Hat bug report, but we've seen countless problems from machines
> of that era with dying ram or motherboard capacitors or..

Right, this should be a sufficient indicator that those machines won't
be running modern kernels anymore :-)

Oh, and besides, this really frees up that taint bit TAINT_UNSAFE_SMP
for the forcepae thing. Let me cook up a patch - it looks like 3.14
will be the release where we're getting rid of old platforms - look at
tip/x86/nuke-platforms. :-)

> I still have NexGen docs somewhere ;)

Uuuh, more than ancient, make sure to hold on to those :-)

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.