RFC: APEI hardware reduced profile

From: Tomasz Nowicki
Date: Wed Mar 26 2014 - 08:08:28 EST

Hi,

Currently APEI depends on x86 architecture. It is because of many x86 specific features like "IA-32 Architecture Corrected Machine Check
" error source or NMI hardware error notification. However, many other features like "PCI Express Device AER Structure" or GHES via external interrupt can be still used perfectly by other architectures. So my idea is to move x86 dependency away form Kconfig to APEI areas where it really applies to.

I have started refactoring ghes.c driver in that direction. And here comes my confusion, how should we treat x86 related parts, as fixed profile? (which means we could use ACPI_REDUCED_HARDWARE or CONFIG_ACPI_REDUCED_HARDWARE_ONLY define). I would like to ask for your opinion.

Regards,
Tomasz