Re: Bug 71331 - mlock yields processor to lower priority process

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Mar 27 2014 - 02:03:20 EST

On 21/03/14 08:50 AM, jimmie.davis@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:>
> [...]

Returning EAGAIN is not something that the API definition from POSIX allows for, that is only for indicating a failure. If the memory that is being locked is not currently residing in RAM, then the memory will need to be swapped in before the call returns, which clearly cannot be done without blocking. Thus mlock can potentially block, which has not changed. Whether or not any kernel behavior has changed to cause this to happen in some cases where it didn't previously, the fact remains that this is allowed behavior.

Generally real-time applications should not be doing mlock calls during their real-time execution for that reason. The required memory regions should be locked during startup so that this kind of execution delay can be avoided at runtime.