Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Linux Patch Review Group

From: Christian Stroetmann
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 19:14:05 EST

Am 02.04.2014 00:20, schrieb Christian Stroetmann:
Am 02.04.2014 00:02, schrieb Richard Weinberger:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Christian Stroetmann
<stroetmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 01.April.2014 17:55, Felipe Balbi wrote:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:40:16AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

On 04/01/2014 11:16 AM, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
On 04/01/2014 05:41 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
Hello everyone,

During last week's Collab summit, Jon Corbet suggested we use the power
of social media to improve the Linux kernel patch review process.

We thought this was a great idea, and have been experimenting with a
new
Facebook group dedicated to patch discussion and review. The new group
provides a dramatically improved development workflow, including:

* One click patch or comment approval
* Comments enhanced with pictures and video
* Who has seen your patches and comments
* Searchable index of past submissions
* A strong community without anonymous flames

To help capture the group discussion in the final patch submission,
we suggest adding a Liked-by: tag to commits that have been through
group review.

To use the new group, please join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/linuxpatches/

Once you've joined, you can post patches in the group, or email patches
linuxpatches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-chris
NACK! I do not have facebook and I do not like patches to be discussed
behind my back. On the mailing list we don't even want HTML with bold
lettered words so no thanks facebook adds nothing

Please obliterate this bad idea.

(And I do not have Facebook shares or care to)
It's always hard to move on to new technologies. But at some point we
have
to recognize that the internet has developed a rich culture that the
kernel
community isn't taking full advantage of.

I certainly don't expect everyone to convert right away, but there's a
whole
world out there beyond port 25.
Agreed

Acked-by: Felipe Balbi<balbi@xxxxxx>

We might even be able to "recruit" a much more diverse group of
reviewers who are undiscovered as of now ;-)

Sorry, but definitely: Nack!!!
We (the majority of the Linux maintainers) voted already on fb.com to
make it out primary developing eco system
and will abandon LKML starting with April 1st.

Please, allow me to ask some questions:
1. It was proposed "During last week's Collab summit" and now it is decided already?
2. Do you have a link to the discussion on LKML or somewhere else?
3. Did you voted on fb.com or on LKML during?
4. Is there a link to the vote or any related informations?
5. You mean with "April 1st" since today respectively yesterday LKML will be stopped to function?
6. And with "eco system" you mean that a majority of the Linux maintainers want to use fb.com for the development of Linux?

Honestly, I do not find this funny somehow, but a little curious.

Best regards
C. Stroetmann

If it was an April fool hoax, then I have to applaud Chris Mason and the others a lot, get the post address for the beer, thank everybody for telling me that there is a world besides the monitor, and beg your pardon for my seriousness.
Now, it seems to be that I have to learn how to get my fb.com account until April 2015. Hopefully, I can find a helping hand for this modern technology.

Nevertheless, my suggestion to set such a platfrom up with an open source framework was really meant in this way.

Good luck
Christian Stroetmann