ktap and ebpf integration

From: Jovi Zhangwei
Date: Thu Apr 03 2014 - 21:22:03 EST

Hi Alexei,

We talked a lot on ktap and ebpf integration in these days,
Now I think we can put into deeply to thinking out some
technical issues in there.

Firstly, I want to make sure you are support this ktap and
ebpf integration direction, I aware you have ongoing 'bpf filter'
patch set work, which actually overlapping with ktap integration
efforts (IMO the interface should be unified and simple for user,
so I think filter debugfs file is not a good interface), so please let
me know your answer about this.

If the answer is yes, then we can go through ebpf core
improvement, for example:
- support global variable access
this is mandatory for dynamic tracing, otherwise, there have
no possible to run a simple script like get function execution
time.
- support timer in kernel
The final solution must need to support kernel timer for profiling,
and sampling stack.
- support register multi-event in one script
- support trace_end

If the answer of first question is no, you still believe your "bpf filter"
solution is a correct way, that's means there have no need to
integrate ktap and ebpf, and don't need any ktap upstream efforts,
I 'm fine with it, then I can make another technical plan for ktap.

Thank you.

Jovi