Re: [BUG] x86: reboot doesn't reboot

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Apr 04 2014 - 12:01:25 EST

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 08:39:51 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are several platforms where the default boot method invokes an SMM
> handler which blithly assumes that the hardware is in whatever state
> Windows leaves it in, and hangs otherwise. This seems to include nearly
> all Dell systems. So it isn't really quite that simple...

Just an update. I pulled out of my closet an old Pentium III and got it
to finally boot the new kernel. It reboots fine, but as I left the
printk patch in, it didn't get to the cf9 usage. I take it, it can
detect the level. And perhaps the issues is only with x86_64?

I have no problem with sticking in reboot=b in my development box. I
just wanted people to know that I had issues.

Maybe keep the current way and on reboot, have a pr_info() stating, if
your system doesn't reboot try "reboot=b" on the kernel command line?

-- Steve