Re: perf_fuzzer crash on pentium 4

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue May 06 2014 - 12:08:13 EST

On Tue, 6 May 2014, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 11:42:58AM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> >
> > So just to be difficult I fired up the perf_fuzzer on a Pentium 4 machine.
> >
> > It crashes more or less instantly (sorry for the line wrapping,
> > just got the serial console hooked up and don't have minicom configured
> > right yet).
> >
> > this is 3.15-rc4 with the anti-memory corruption patch applied.
>
> *sigh*.. the one x86 PMU driver I really don't know. I might actually
> have some P4 class hardware, I'll try and get it wired up this week
> somewhere.

I have a Pentium II in working condition I can fire up too. All my other
older x86 hardware (K6-2, 486) pre-dates performance counters.

Just be glad that when I moved I had to leave behind the itanium, PA-RISC,
Power-G3, Alpha, SPARC niagara, pentium-pro and K7-athlon machines.
Though I guess other than the latter two those wouldn't be your problems.

If I had infinite time I'd try to get the SGI Octane, Ultrasparc, and
avr32 boards up and going again.

Vince