Re: [lm-sensors] coretemp.0 folder contents changed

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 03:13:19 EST

Hi Guenter,

On Tue, 06 May 2014 06:32:15 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> Can we implement a similar approach to network devices and make hwmon
> path names (ie the /sys/class/hwmon/XXX path name) configurable via udev ?
> Might be worth exploring.

This is one possibility indeed. The good thing is that libsensors makes
no assumption on hwmon class device names, so we can change the names
without breaking any application which uses libsensors. Scripts
accessing sysfs directly may break though (pwmconfig would, for
example.)

We'll have to be careful when choosing the new names, and make sure
there is no name space collision. Network interface renaming has caused
a great deal of trouble out there.

Another approach, which I have in mind for quite some time already but
could never find the time to implement, would be a small helper binary
which would look-up hwmon devices by libsensors-like name (and the
other way around too.) Scripts could use it to benefit from libsensors
persistent names.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support