Re: [ABOMINATION] x86: Fast interrupt return to userspace

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 11:27:35 EST

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:14 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Whatever. I got enough profile data to say that it seems to have
>> > cut 'iret' overhead by at least two thirds. So it may not *work*,
>> > but from a "hey look, some random numbers" standpoint it is worth
>> > playing with.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Is there actual interest in turning something like this into a real
>> patch? It would almost certainly have to default off and no one
>> sane would ever use it except for special-purpose machines.
>
> The macro speedup looks rather impressive, and we've done ugly things
> for far smaller speedups.
>
> But I don't think it should be a 'special mode'. It either is made to
> work unconditionally and can be a prime speedup to be proud of in a
> politely disgusted fashion, or we don't want the complexity (and
> future bitrot) of some special switch.

The problem is that we'll break anything that expects to be able to
use more than the specified 128-byte redzone. Doing that is currently
safe as long as no signals are delivered.

I could imagine something like Go blowing up badly.

We might be able to get away with automatically disabling this thing
if sigaltstack is enabled.

--Andy