Re: vmstat: On demand vmstat workers V5

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Wed May 28 2014 - 20:36:23 EST

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:19:49AM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2014, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 01:18:10PM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > > #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
> > > static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct delayed_work, vmstat_work);
> > > int sysctl_stat_interval __read_mostly = HZ;
> > > +static DECLARE_BITMAP(cpu_stat_off_bits, CONFIG_NR_CPUS) __read_mostly;
> > > +const struct cpumask *const cpu_stat_off = to_cpumask(cpu_stat_off_bits);
> > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(cpu_stat_off);
> >
> > Is there no way to make it a cpumask_var_t, and allocate it from
> > start_shepherd_timer()?
> >
> > This should really take less space overall.
>
> This was taken from the way things work with the other cpumasks in
> linux/kernel/cpu.c. Its compatible with the way done there and allows
> also the write protection of the cpumask outside of vmstat.c

The cpumasks in cpu.c are special as they are the base of the cpumask_var_t
definition. They are necessary to define nr_cpu_bits which is the base of
cpumask_var_t allocations. As such they must stay lower level and defined
on top of NR_CPUS.

But most other cases don't need that huge static bitmap. I actually haven't
seen any other struct cpumask than isn't based on cpumask_var_t.

> > > + schedule_delayed_work(this_cpu_ptr(&vmstat_work),
> > > + __round_jiffies_relative(sysctl_stat_interval,
> > > + HOUSEKEEPING_CPU));
> >
> > Maybe you can just make the shepherd work unbound and let bind it from userspace
> > once we have the workqueue user affinity patchset in.
>
> Yes that is what V5 should have done. Looks like the final version was not
> posted. Sigh. The correct patch follows this message and it no longer uses
> HOUSEKEEPING_CPU.

Ok.

> > OTOH, it means you need to have a vmstat_update work on the housekeeping CPU as well.
>
> Well the vnstat_udpate may not be needed on the processor where the
> shepherd runs so it may save something.

Ok, thanks!

> From cl@xxxxxxxxx Thu Oct 3 12:41:21 2013
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:41:21 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx>, John Stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx>, Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@xxxxxxxxx>, Hakan Akkan <hakanakkan@xxxxxxxxx>, Max Krasnyansky <maxk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-mm@xxxxxxxxx, hughd@xxxxxxxxxx, viresh.kumar@xxxxxxxxxx, hpa@xxxxxxxxx, mingo@xxxxxxxxxx, peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: vmstat: On demand vmstat workers V6

Please post it on a new thread so it gets noticed by others.

Thanks.