Re: Licensing & copyright of kernel .config files (defconfig, *config)

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Jun 02 2014 - 00:18:15 EST

I'm not seeing where there is a problem, unless you are trying to assume that you have no right to distribute them at all.

there is no source for the .config file, it is the source. so when you distribute it, you are complying with any distribution requirements.

it could be argued that distributing the kernel requires distribution of the .config, but that's been violated so much that it's hard to see anyone worrying about it (and it's best practice to distribute it anyway, and trival to make it be part of the kernel via /proc)

what is it that's worrying you and causing the need to question the licenseing?

David Lang