Re: [tip:x86/efi] x86/efi: Check for unsafe dealing with FPU state in irq ctxt

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Jun 05 2014 - 11:55:35 EST

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 08:44:20AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> Are there weird contexts from which EFI calls can happen? It looks
> like the current code isn't necessarily safe in things that aren't
> normal process context but aren't interrupts either (e.g. debug traps,
> #GP, etc).

The efi-pstore thing registers as a kmsg dumper which can be run in NMI
context and efi can be called there.

> I wonder if it would make sense at some point to maintain an explicit
> stack of kernel entries. There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to
> answer the question of "what context am I in" from C code right now.

So that you can ask int ctxt = what_context_Im_in() and then that
context can go and change right underneath you. :-)

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.