Re: [RFT 1/2] printk: make dynamic kernel ring buffer alignemnt explicit

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Wed Jun 18 2014 - 15:33:35 EST

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:56:03AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 06/18/2014 05:14 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx>
> >
> > We have to consider alignment for the ring buffer both for the
> > default static size, and then also for when an dynamic allocation
> > is made when the log_buf_len=n kernel parameter is passed to set
> > the size specifically to a size larger than the default size set
> > by the architecture through CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT.
> >
> > The default static kernel ring buffer can be aligned properly if
> > architectures set CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT properly, we provide ranges
> > for the size though so even if CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT has a sensible
> > aligned value it can be reduced to a non aligned value. Commit
> > 6ebb017de9 by Andrew ensures the static buffer is always aligned
> > and the decision of alignment is done by the compiler by using
> > __alignof__(struct log) (curious what value caused the crash?).
>
> IIRC the issue was that __log_buf's type is char[] so without the
> __aligned it could have any alignment at all, e.g. 1 or 2. However,
> struct printk_log is stored in the buffer rather than just char*, and so
> if __log_buf isn't aligned to the required alignment for that structure,
> that can caused unaligned accesses to fields in the structure, which
> isn't supported on ARM in at least some cases.
>
> As such, I think the change to setup_log_buf() in this patch makes sense
> (although I suppose in practice memblock_virt_alloc() probably has some
> minimum internal alignment that dwards LOG_ALIGN, but that's an
> implementation detail we shouldn't rely on).

Thanks for the feedback.

memblock_virt_alloc() will by default align to L1 cache, so if that satisfies
the architecture alignment it should be safe, but perhaps not optimal for
saving a few bytes. Still curious if without this patch a crash can be
triggered somehow with some log_buf_len=n, if so this can go to stable.

Luis