Re: linux-next: the selinux tree needs cleaning up

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Thu Jun 19 2014 - 23:44:05 EST

Quoting Stephen Rothwell (sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:47:01 -0400 Paul Moore <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I want to avoid use a -rcX release as the foundation of any of my trees; the -
> > rc releases aren't as stable and it goes against what we're trying to do with
> > the different Linux Security trees. Unfortunately, based on what I've read
> > above, this seems to be incompatible with linux-next.
>
> The problem with basing your development for v3.17 on v3.15 is that
> you do not take into account any of the changes done by others during
> v3.16-rc1 (or even your upstream tree) some of which may be core API
> changes.
>
> > While I hate to split my development branch from the #next branch, it seems
>
> I don't want that either ...
>
> > like that is the only way to accomplish both a reasonably current and stable
> > development tree and get the patches into linux-next. Unless you, or anyone
> > else for that matter, has a different suggestion I'm going to go ahead and
> > turn the current SELinux #next branch into a development branch and create a
> > new #next branch that will be based on the most current -rc1, this new #next
> > branch will be created new for each major release. Not exactly what I was
> > hoping for, but will that work?
>
> Do you mean that your #next branch will just be a merge of -rc1 and
> your development branch? That would not actually change anything
> (except that you would possibly take care of some conflicts for me).
>
> At the core, what is in linux-next should just be exactly what will be
> merged by your upstream. My real point here is that that is not what
> has happened recently. The patches in your tree have been
> cherry-picked or rebased into James' or Serge's trees, not merged so we
> now have duplication. This is what you need to solve with James and
> Serge. linux-next is a side issue - I can cope with a lot.

The duplicates were the result of several misunderstandings and general
naivity all on my part. I'm actually still not clear on what usually
happens with the selinux tree - it feeds into linux-next, then gets
'pull'ed by James into security-next for a pull request? Do you usually
send a request to James when ready, he pulls, then he sends pull request
to Linus? (Or am I wrong, and you usually send your own requests to
Linus?)

-serge