Re: [patch 54/55] timekeeping: Provide fast and NMI safe access to CLOCK_MONOTONIC[_RAW]

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Sat Jul 12 2014 - 10:55:14 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Thomas,

I'm perhaps missing something here, but what happens with the
following scenario ?

Initial conditions:

tkf->seq = 0
tkf->base[0] and tkf->base[1] are initialized.

CPU 0 CPU 1
------------ ----------------
update:
tkf->seq++
smb_wmb()
tkf->seq++ (reordered before update)
reader:
seq = tkf->seq (reads 2)
smp_rmb()
idx = seq & 0x01
now = now(tkf->base[idx] (reads base[0])
update(tkf->base[0], tk) (racy concurrent update)
smp_rmb()
while (seq != tkf->seq) (they are equal)

So AFAIU, we end up returning a corrupted value. Adding a
smp_wmb() between update of base[0] and increment of seq,
as well as between update of base[1] and the _following_
increment of seq (next update call) would fix this.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--