Re: Support for ASP DM6446 in main-line Linux Kernel

From: Peter Ujfalusi
Date: Tue Jul 15 2014 - 01:49:42 EST

On 07/14/2014 06:58 PM, abhijit naik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am studying ASP driver of DM6446 EVM in main line kernel 3.14.
> I referred to both sound/soc/davinci/davinci-mcasp.c
> and sound/soc/davinci/davinci-i2s.c

For DM6446 the correct driver would be the davinci-i2s. The audio interface is
named as ASP in DM6446 which is an early version of McBSP - really basic IP
(according to the TRMs).
AFAIK there is no users of davinci-i2s in mainline and I do not have and I do
not have HW where I can test it.
Because of this lack of users there is no DT bindings for davinci-i2s - which
should be renamed as davinci-asp IMHO.
But the code looks like something which might work so at least w/o DT boot
should be trivial to enable.

If you look at arch/arm/mach-davinci/dm644x.c and board-dm644x-evm.c it is
setting up davinci-mcbsp (which is implemented within davinci-i2s driver).

So at least non DT boot should work with audio.

> Which one among the two is correct for DM6446 ASP and I am seeing that there
> is a device tree code in sound/soc/davinci/davinci-evm.c but corresponding
> support code is not present in sound/soc/davinci/davinci-mcasp.c
>
> Please let me know whether this support is complete or can some one guide me
> to working code for DM6446 ASP

For what I see is that mainline should work with audio on dm644x-evm.

--
Péter