Re: Random panic in load_balance() with 3.16-rc

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 14:55:47 EST

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, that leaves us agreeing we want to clean that up, but still no
> closer to explaining WTH happened on Michel's machine. Weird that.

So looking at that destination pointer value (ffff10043c803e8c), it
*looks* like a pointer. Almost. If it was 0xffff80.. instead of
0xffff10.. it would probably be a fine pointer.

Can you send me the config? I'm wondering what else might be close to
that load_balance_mask percpu allocation, that migth perhaps have
overflowed and written a stray byte into the pointer or something?

Linus