Re: Bug on Kernel 3.16 r6: Sound and Buffering in Clementine with Files are Transferring to Music Directory

From: Matt Joras
Date: Sun Jul 27 2014 - 01:16:48 EST

Nick,

I could be wrong but I doubt this is symptomatic of a "kernel bug" as you seem to think. Are you saying that the music stutters during a transfer operation to your external hard drive? I.e. the music playback in Clementine stutters while you are writing to the disk the music files are on? If so, that doesn't really sound like a bug to me, especially not a sound driver bug. That sounds like a pretty typical instance of IO waiting; i.e. the drive is busy and Clementine has to wait its turn to fill up its buffer again with data. Most of the time applications like that will let you increase their "buffer size" which is essentially just the amount of data the application will load at a time from the disk.

If that's not the situation you were describing, feel free to clarify.

Regards,
Matt Joras