Re: Random panic in load_balance() with 3.16-rc

From: Frank Ch. Eigler
Date: Mon Jul 28 2014 - 10:12:04 EST

Hi -

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:10:04AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> [...]
> I thought Markus told us that -fno-var-tracking-assignments makes
> absolutely no difference for non-debug kernels?

It does affect CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO kernels, and that config option is
set for all Red Hat kernels (-debug or plain).

> [...] Is there some equivalent signalling system that gcc could use
> [...]

I'm not aware of anything trivial like a gcc --report-fixed-PRs kind
of thing. But, kbuild could conceivably have a run-time test
involving test-running gcc with in that compare-debug mode with a
suitable test case. We use the latter technique in systemtap for
auto-configuring to kernel versions/features; we got the $(CHECK_BUILD)
trick from vmware module makefiles. It could be recast as a variant
of $(cc-option ...).

- FChE