Re: + prctl-pr_set_mm-introduce-pr_set_mm_map-operation-v3.patch added to -mm tree

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Sat Aug 23 2014 - 11:35:05 EST

On 08/23, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 03:30:01PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > Please don't. First of all, it can't help because proc_pid_auxv() doesn't hold
> > > this lock. It does mm_access() which drops this lock after return. And to remind,
> > > we are going to remove mm_access/lock_trace from sys_read() paths in proc.
> >
> > Besides, it can't help anyway. cred_guard_mutex is per-process (not per-thread),
> > suppose that a vfork()'ed child does prctl() while another thread reads the
> > parent's /proc/pid/auxv.
>
> Then either I need to use some other lock (not sure which one) either leave it
> completely unlocked mentionin in the man page such lockless behaviour. Thoughts?

Personally I think "lockless" is the best choice (not sure man page should
know about this detail). I mean, I think that we do not care if proc_pid_auxv()
prints garbage if it races with ptctl().

Otherwise we have to use mmap_sem in proc_pid_auxv(), doesn't look nice.

> | > Stricktly speaking yes, but don't forget we might need to update
> | > exe::file as well which requires lock to be taken.
> |
> | For reading? I see prctl_set_mm_exe_file_locked() in this patch, probably
> | this function was added by another patch. But, if this function calls
> | set_mm_exe_file() (I guess it does?) then down_read() is not enough?
> | set_mm_exe_file() can race with itself.
>
> yes, for reading, look in set_mm_exe_file we lookup for vma which should
> be not present when we change the link, and yes, because of read-only lock
> this call can race but only one caller success there because we allow
> to change exe link only once.

Ah, I forgot about MMF_EXE_FILE_CHANGED, thanks for correcting me.

(btw I think this check must die too, but this is off-topic and I was
wrong anyway).

OK, but I still think down_read(mmap_sem) is not enough. get_mm_exe_file()
can do get_file() after prctl() paths do the final fput().

Or please look at tomoyo_get_exe(). Another thread can play with mm->exe_file
fput().

Plus I am a bit worrried about inode_permission() under mmap_sem... but
this is probably fine. Although you can never know which locks a creative
filesystem/security module can take ;) But probably this is fine.

> | But for what? Ignoring the (I think buggy) check in do_shmat() ->start_stack
> | is simply unused, we only report it via /proc/. The same for, say, mm->start_code.
>
> that't the good question if this check in do_shmat is buggy or not, why do
> you think it's a bug there?

Please see the patch I sent.

> Oleg, letme summarize all the concerns maybe there would be a way to handle
> them gracefully
>
> 1) How code flows for now (with all fixes on top of current Andrew's queued patches)
>
> - obtain struct prctl_mm_map from userspace
> - copy saved_auxv from userspace
> - down-read mmap_sem
> - validate all the data passed from userspace

I won't argue, but at least mmap_min/max_addr do not need mmap_sem.

> - we need a reference to stack-vma for RLIMIT_STACK check (this is doable,
> as you said, but until we drop the RLIMIT_STACK from do_shmat I would
> prefer it to be here)

OK, I won't argue, but I think this is pointless and misleading.

And btw, where do you see RLIMIT_STACK in do_shmat() ?

> - we need to be sure that start_brk, brk,

probably yes, simply because the kernel actually uses this members.

> arg_start, arg_end, env_start, env_end
> really point to existing VMAs, strictly speaking the probgram can unmap
> all own VMAs except executable one and continue running without problem
> but this is not that practical I think and at first iteration I prefer
> more severe tests here on VMAs

But, again, for what? There are only used to report this info via /proc/.

> - setup new mm::exe_file (we need to be sure the old exe_file is unmapped
> so mmap_sem read-lock is needed)

See above.

> Oleg, check please if I undersnad you correctly, you propose
>
> - drop off mmap_sem completely

No, no, I didn't, we obviously can't do this.

> - don't verify for RLIMIT_STACK

Yes, and more "don't verify". But again, I won't really argue. Just in my
opinion almost all these checks looks misleading, confusing, and unnecessary.

Please think about those who will try to understand this code. A little
comment like "this is not needed but we all are paranoid in openvz" could
make it a bit more understandable ;)

> - drop off task_lock when updating mm::saved_auxv but still invent
> how to prevent update/read race

Personally I think we can simply ignore this race.

But let me repeat, I won't argue with any approach as long as I think
it is fine correctness wise.

Oleg.